I'm 47 years old, too old, they won't hire me in this field. No jobs in this field. All gone. Sure I can go to court for Discrimination, I won't win, no evidence. And court takes alot of time and money, in the meantime you have to live, eat, pay bills etc etc.
There is no jobs for people like me, we can't live off of $10.00 an hour. So what if they raise it to $15.00 an hour, big deal, the employers will just cut more hours.
After the crash, everybody that pays their employees min wage in those fields went part time. They don't have to pay overtime and medical, benefits.
So after the min wage gets raised, the employers will reduce the hours to meet the law. Less hours, maybe 5-10 hours a week. So now, the average joe to make ends meet will have to get 3-4 jobs just to live. Before some people could get by on 2 part time jobs but now it will be 3-4. To be realistic, I already did that journey, you can't cookie cut employment, in this state the employer has all the power and the employee has none. If they want somebody for x hours a week, then you have to fit your life into their mold. So you have a job in the morning. You'll have to find one in the afternoon and the evening and to make it worth your time, you have to make sure they are in close enough distance to drive to and make it there on time each day. You can't get a job in Santa Monica and then in Chatsworth and then in Encino. You forgot about traffic, it's all about timing, if you are not there on time, they'll fire you, they don't care about traffic. And gas is not cheap, so your gas prices will go up. Again, you have to make sure it meets your budget. For example if you have 3 jobs, after doing all the research online, sending out your resume, setting up interviews, going to them and getting hired. They each give you 10 hours a week, that's 2 hours a day and you have to drive to each one.
So 30 hours x $15.00 $450.00 a week, if 40 hours, a week meaning 4 jobs at 2 hours a day, that's $600.00 a week, after taxes it's $459.43 a week before expenses, gas, at 4 jobs a week it's gonna cost around $100.00-$200.00 a week in gas, so really you'll bring home $359.43-259.43 after taxes if it's 4 jobs. Is that profitable for you? If you're single with kids it's even less money, you have to pay for babysitting, more food etc etc.
They call it a living wage but that's PR or smoke up your ass. They never tell you the reality of it. It sounds great in theory but in reality it sucks. Maybe 1% of the population will succeed but the other 99% will fail, even the kids. They won't be able to move out, ever. And the rest will be moving back home, if there is a home to move back to. If not, homeless city. Not everybody is interested in shacking up with a guy to pay less rent nor get married for the sole purpose of lowering one's rent. That's insane and wack. Or users, once again.
Don't forget, you can't cookie cut this, some employers will agree to certain hours and then change it, after you start working there, others will say 10 and then give you 6, change their minds. Again, it's based on their needs and wants, not yours nor your life. So to survive and not go on welfare or go homeless, you'll have to change your lifestyle, no more days off, for at least 10 if not 20 years, alot of days will probably overlap so you'll be working 7 days a week, including Saturdays and Sundays. Oh and no more vacays either with pay. You can take a week or two off in a year but without pay. You'll have to pay for it yourself. At $359.43-259.43 after taxes I have no idea how you will be able to do it. Reality check.
Maybe one day, after working your ass off to pay your employer's mortgage, their car payments for their BMW's and Mercedes etc etc, they'll give you a .10cent raise or increase your hours. Don't forget to lick their ass ok. And document it, video, sexual harassment and abuse.